What Do We Do?
Soroptimist International of Saguaro Foothills was established in the spring of 1973 by a group of committed women in the Desert Foothills of the Phoenix metro area. Our Soroptimist International charter was granted on May 12, 1973 with eighteen charter members.
Since the club’s inception, SI Saguaro Foothills has been devoted to working on projects in the Carefree, Cave Creek, North Phoenix, and North Scottsdale area dedicated to helping women and girls.
- For several years we have provided school children with backpacks filled with school supplies to start the new school year
- We award a Live Your Dream Award grant to a woman who is financially responsible for her family and is wanting to further her education.
- Our club proudly sponsors a "Dream It Be It" Workshop at a regional high school to help mentor high school girls as they plan their future careers
- For 40 years we have held a Spaghetti Dinner in Cave Creek to raise funds for our programs. Other fundraising events include hosting Bunco Events, Adopt-Families at Christmas, and a Spring Fundraiser.
We are a proud participant in Scholarship Award Programs including:
- Live Your Dream Award
- Young Women's Service Award
- We also honor a local woman with the Ruby Award to recognize her contributions to the community
Community Programs: Bobcat’s Closet
In 2014 Soroptimist International of Saguaro Foothills joined with Cave Creek Unified School District to help run a community wide clothes closet for children in need. Bobcat’s Closet is located at Black Mountain Elementary School and occupies an unused classroom. Bobcat’s Closet is the brain storm of Mark Owsley, Principle at BMES. Principal Owsley met with CCUSD board members, teachers and students to help implement the program. At the beginning of each school year, SI Saguaro Foothills purchases new shoes, underclothes and socks for girls and boys K-6th grade. Additional inventory is purchased throughout the school year as needed. Community clothes donations come in to support the program and the children of Black Mountain Elementary School sponsor clothing drives during the school year. This program is open to all students in the Cave Creek Unified School District and surrounding area schools. Soroptimist members open Bobcat’s Closet the first and third Wednesdays of each month from 9:00-11:00am throughout the school year. Any family that is unable to attend on those days please call BMES at 480 -575-2100 to arrange an appointment to shop. Funding is provided by generous supporters in the community and from fundraising events sponsored by Soroptimist International of Saguaro Foothills.
In 2016-17 Bobcat’s Closet has already assisted over 85 families in the district and surrounding area. We are happy to be a part of this very successful community program and “Thank” CCUSD for allowing us to participate.
Interested in becoming a Soroptimist? Click here Contact Us